We're Hiring. Could you be our next General Manager?
We’re looking for an ambitious, high energy General Manager to lead our flagship Plymouth climbing centre as we take centre stage in one of the UK’s fastest growing lifestyle sports in the first PE backed climbing wall in the UK with significant roll out plans.
The Climbing Hangar is a chain of indoor bouldering walls with sites in Liverpool, London and Plymouth with three more due to open in 2019 and four more in 2020 creating significant opportunities for the right candidate to grow with us.
Our customers are from 4 to 70, they love coffee beer and pizza, chatting, training, yoga, fun events with music and theatre too. Diverse, fun and insatiably curious, our community is an outpost of togetherness where everyone feels connected and part of something bigger.
If you’re passionate about creating opportunities for people to come together in an atmosphere that is obsessive about exceptional service, professionalism, employee engagement and lots of fun, we’re very keen to hear from you.
We are open every day supporting our vibrant community with great climbing, great experiences and great quality, locally sourced food and drink in a welcoming, relaxed environment.
The position of General Manager is not for the faint hearted. You’ll be commercially astute, customer-focused and full of ideas to evolve the site and our company whilst supporting your friendly, passionate crew.
The UK climbing marketing is growing rapidly, almost entirely driven by bouldering. With no clear market leader, our plans for the business put us in a great position to take up that position and our General Managers are absolutely key to our success.
We love what climbing is; the travel, the mental challenge, physicality but at least as much, the social side, craft beers, great coffee and good food!
Who is our perfect person?
• Our vision is to ‘help people feel good about themselves and each other through their shared experience of climbing’ – you’ll be responsible for ensuring the Hangar has a positive impact on people’s lives and therefore driving our commercial success. Hangar General Managers have a natural gift for hospitality and inspirational leadership demonstrated through passion, their example and their commitment.
• General managers are masters of many trades with a tireless focus on the detail. You already understand why incredible coffee and cake are as important as delivering incredible climbing. Faultless service and immaculate facilities are your baseline expectations, and little gives you more joy than seeing your team and customers grow and succeed under your guidance.
• A calm and systematic individual with experience of managing costs, maximising revenues and a test and learn approach to innovation.
The General Manager will be responsible for:
- Driving and delivering both operational excellence and the gross profitability of the centre
- Data-driven development of brand-lead products and services to meet your customers’ needs and achieve financial targets
- Defining and delivering the most appropriate marketing activity to support the centre’s objectives
- Training and developing the team
In addition to their financial responsibilities, the General Manager will be required to deliver against a set of non-financial measures including:
- Customer acquisition, retention and satisfaction
- Team motivation and satisfaction levels
- Local community engagement